photo credit: IPNLF
Every PureFish has a name,
because every PureFish has a story.
Wild Hook & Line Caught Sustainable Tuna.
Our tuna is caught using the same old fashioned methods since the start of fishing, using just hook & line the old fashioned way. No giant nets that lead to overfishing & huge bycatch problems usually seen in commercial tuna fishing.
This method is also much more sustainable than net fishing tuna as the tuna are targeted based on area & depth.
By only fishing in certain areas and certain depths, our fisherman are able to specifically target the tuna leading to little to none bycatch. Also any bycatch caught at these targeted depths are also fish that are commercially viable to the fisherman, including mahi-mahi, & swordfish.
Another tool to avoid bycatch in this fishery is by using circular hooks. World Wildlife Fund (WWF) works closely with partners to advocate the use of circle hooks to reduce bycatch without affecting target catch like tuna and billfish. This type of hook is sharply curved back in a circular shape with the barbed end lying perpendicular to the shank
In addition our tuna is also sustainably certified wild caught, so you can finally feel good about the tuna you are buying & eating.
Every part of this artisan fishery is about balance with the environment and taking only what is needed.
Early every morning well before dawn the local fisherman set off for the days catch, but before tuna fishing can begin the fisherman start by hand netting for the live bait for the tuna. The bait fish is netted and brought on board live, once this is done then its off to to the tuna fishing grounds in deeper water.
The method of finding the best tuna is a mix of traditional local knowledge, years experience reading the elements of the day, and keen eyes.
Once the tuna school is spotted the live caught bait is tossed into the water to attract the tuna and create a "feeding frenzy", it is precisely at this point that the fisherman toss in their lines and begin to catch each tuna one by one.
This targeted method is as old as the days of tuna fishing, and today is considered to be the most sustainable manner of catching tuna, by only taking small quantities at each time. Once the days quota is filled, the boat is then pointed back to home and offloaded and processed the same day, making this tuna not only sustainably but premium quality.
Costa Rica - Artisanal Line Caught using circular hooks
Indian Ocean - Pole & Line Caught
Certified Fair Trade® Labor Practices
ZERO WASTE policy ensures environmental footprint is constantly minimized.
Every tuna before it is caught is "sushi quality", what is more important is the manner in which the fish is caught, properly bled, and quickly chilled that keeps it of top "sashimi" quality. All of our fisherman are trained to properly handle, bleed, & quickly chill the tuna for the best quality & color.
Unfortunately not every tuna that comes out of the water is the "bright red" color we all associate with tuna, and this #1 quality (as referred to by the industry) is actually less than 5% off all tuna caught. This causes a lot of waste in the tuna industry with the other 95% of tuna and fisherman receive less money for these fish from traditional processors., that many times causes the fisherman to loose money on the entire trip after expenses. This is not only "NOT SUSTAINABLE" for the tuna fishery but also for the fisherman.
That is why as fisherman we believe in natural color preservation methods, that ultimately lead to higher wages for the fisherman, less wasted tuna because of color, and overall a better use of every tuna caught. This will lead to less overall waste of tuna, and as a result less tuna will need to be caught & allow stocks to repopulate.
Most commercially caught tuna is net caught by the tens of thousands of pounds at a time, and these methods are believed to be the main cause of wild tuna overfishing issues, as well as catching large quantities of unwanted "by catch" in these nets that is usually discarded at sea, meaning its killed and totally wasted as it has no commercial value. This why it's so important to support sustainable caught wild tuna using pole & line methods or targeted deep set trolling lines and ask before you buy.
There is no portion of the fish that is wasted. Off cuts are sold and used with our partners to create "human grade" high quality pet food.
Any left over scraps are used as bait for fisherman to catch other species.